Somehow it’s been nearly a year since I’ve written here, and yet the majority of my current state of mind can be summed up in what I wrote last. One big thing that has changed, though, is that we lost our sweet Cooper shortly after that post.
Darrell and I brought Coop to our very first apartment together, and he was a sweet and constant presence in our lives for 9 years. While I certainly don’t miss his incessant licking, I will definitely miss this beautiful creature – who is no doubt chasing rabbits and taking naps on the other side.
Since then, I’ve been busy living, you could say, and not taking the time to write things down. I know that will probably come back to bite me – they say we’re not as good at holding onto memories as we think we are – but it’s so very hard for me to pause and reflect at the end of the day.
Franklin is still largely (and rightly) the center of my attention. But so much else in our lives has changed. Just months before that last post, I started working full-time again and we moved to our new house, one we’re intending to be our forever home. Those changes together are a big part of the reason I rarely write at home anymore – now that I’m writing again full-time at work, finding creative capacity at the end of the day (and something worth talking about) has proven difficult. That being said, I’m coming back today to say things are about to get much, much crazier around here because …
Baby #2 is on the way!
I’m currently 20 weeks and am so relieved to say everything at our anatomy scan went well and we’re expecting a healthy baby boy.
So while I never thought I’d be one of those people who has nothing to talk about but her children, here am I for the first time in months writing about an addition to our family.
Franklin is excited about a baby, but is convinced we’re wrong and that it’s going to be a baby sister. Hopefully he’s not too disappointed in November.
Speaking (again) of Franklin, I want to take the time to write down some of my favorite things about this fleeting sweet spot of time known as 2 years old:
- Kisses, “I LOVE YOU”s and hugs are plentiful in our home
- He still refers to going downstairs as “go down-dutz”
- He’s a master negotiator, having adopted his mother’s “How bout…” when asking for something other than what was offered (e.g., “Um, how bout … popsicle?”)
- He’s incredibly, sometimes forcefully, generous (“YOU have one” and “I have purple popsicle, YOU have red!”)
- His favorite thing in the car is going under overpasses, to which he yells, “TUNNEL!”
- He sings along with theme songs of shows, from Jeopardy to my personal favorite, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (and yells “TURTLE POWER!” at the end)
- He knows and refers to all of his daycare friends by first and last names
- He will tell you, or more likely Lambeau, when something is “Not nice!”
- He’s an expert at spotting poop in the backyard, and will continue to point at it until you pick it up
- He has conversations with, and amongst, his stuffed animals (“Hi Dragon, Hi Bunny, How you?”)
- He knows all his superheroes/villians, even if it does call them Soup Man, Bed Pan, Wonder Moonan, Captain Amentika and Goker
Honestly, this list could go on and on forever. And though he absolutely has his mother’s stubbornness and temper, he’s the sweetest child we could ever be so lucky to have. It’s hard to believe we may be so lucky as to have two.